For Mums The Real Pandemic Of 2020 Isn't What You Think!
2020 has been a year unlike anything the world has experienced…
From bushfires decimating Australia early on, COVID, Riots, BLM movements, politics wrestling with how to manage things…
It has been a fricken MESS!
What makes me sad is that the real problem of 2020 isn’t COVID, Trump, Politics, Masks vs No Masks, open boarders vs lockdowns.
It is the silent evil that has been playing out in the background for a VERY long time…
We live in an ever-demanding society that has created both internal and external pressures for us to do more… A hell of a lot more!
Where mums are expected to look after kids, run the house, be a career-focused empowered woman, nothing over a size 10, fit, strong, and healthy… all while teaching the kids valuable lessons, and creating nurturing relationships with them.
Of but don’t forget your husband… Be sure that your relationship continues to grow, you have sex at least a few times a week, give him space and time to do him, but also be available whenever he is to spend some time adulting…
Holy shit... I am exhausted just from typing that!
But this is the world that we live in. Like it or not it is what it is…
But when is the time for us???
I would say we deserve it, wouldn’t you?
So it’s hardly surprising to hear that mums are running on fumes. In a survey by Mother and Baby Magazine mum’s are surviving on an average of 3.5 hours sleep a night in the first four months.
83% of mum’s said the sheer fatigue put them off sex and 94% that they would rather sleep than anything else!
Now I know that the first few months are tough, but it doesn’t stop there it continues on for YEARS!
Well past the little one sleeping through the night…
Early morning breakfasts, late-night washing oh, and don’t forget a little bit of switch-off time with the latest Netflix series.
The stone-cold truth is as mum’s we are put or children’s needs and happiness above ours day in and day out, then we expect it not to take a toll on us…
Let’s be clear it isn’t sustainable…
So the question becomes how do we fight the modern mum pandemic of chronic exhaustion?
First off I think you need to find what works for you, and your family…
For me, it was understanding;
The 3 Different Types Of Self-Care.
- Spontaneous - self-care throughout the day ranging from 1-10 minutes in length.
- Regular Panned - This is usually 1-2 times per week ranging from 30 - 90 minutes
- The special times - This is 1-3 times per 90 days and can go for 2 hours - the day.
What I did at that time is less important than the time itself. It could be to wash my hair, have a coffee, use a lip balm, spend a little longer in the shower, take a few deep breathes it literally doesn’t matter what it is as long as you get the time.
As I went about this I realised I sometimes missed out if I wasn’t prepared. I would get caught up in the chaos and all of a sudden I am back on struggle street!
The noise would build up, eyes get heavy and I was one little thing away from turning into "frustrated Ashlee"... Nobody wants that!
That's when the concept of “booking a break” came to me. I mean we book in to see doctors, friends, movies, birthday parties, outings and everything else but never to look after us?!
What the hell!
So I explored the idea of a “Book-A-Break Box” that had everything a mum could want for the ultimate break. We added some great stuff like;
- The Book-A-Break Card - To give to your spouse, partner, parent, or anyone you trust to hold down the fort at the agreed time. Be sure to put this time in your phone calendar with reminders.
- The Lil Moments Soak - This is a unique blend of therapeutic salts sourced from all over the world to provide the maximum amount of relaxation but also aid in sleep, muscle soreness, and stiffness, alkalising, mineral replacement.
- The Lil Moments Burn - This hand-poured soy wax candle is the glue that ties your whole experience together. Lightly fragranced to help you reach the ultimate relaxation point to really take it all in.
- The Lil Moments Breathe Balm - Hand poured vanilla lip balm with Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, castor oil, shea butter, vitamin E. While the ingredients are amazing this is meant to be used a regular reminder to stop, draw breath and reset whenever you need to throughout the day.
Plus some extra special surprises to really help you enjoy your break.
The power of this isn’t just in the products but the conscious act of actually booking your break increases the likelihood that you will actually get it!
Instead of being just another “should” on a list in your head it becomes planned and shared with someone else.
If we all prioritise our self-care day to day chaos and noise becomes much more manageable!
Try it out ;)
Ashlee "trying to survive" Flood